• Always make alternate plans when going home, besides just family time. - i.e. Visiting old friends, hangouts, points of interest.
• Always have your own means of transportation, even if your family lives across the country. Then you can hop into a car and take off if things get heated.
• Plan shorter visits, 2 - 4 days. You can extend your stay if all is well.
• Bring someone new home with you as a buffer. Families tend to be on their best behavior around strangers.
• Allow a day or two for your emotional recovery when you return home.
• During stressful conversations, remember to breathe and repeat to yourself over & over, “I’m an adult and I don’t live here anymore.”
• If all else fails, Valium or hallucinogenics can really come in handy.
Check back for more tips.